Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Giving Us Wings

Nothing like catching some wind in your "sails" and riding the Spirit wherever He takes you. Of course, it's up to us to choose to get our "wings" out of the backpack, untangle the mess of our souls (with his help), and get the sail up in the air...opening our hearts up to Him! When we choose into His purposes for us, He takes us on a great adventure in which nothing else compares! We are so grateful for the adventure we are on...soaring high above the mountaintops and taking in the view. Occasionally, the wind dies down and we sail downward a bit only to be lifted up again (thanks for lifting us up with your prayers! Especially after minor "setbacks" like the car accident and robbery these past few months! What the enemy purposes for evil, He purposes for good!!!) We praise Him for entrusting us with our "wings" this year so that we can fly in these Mighty Winds of Mongolia. What an exciting life that we are called to live in Him!


Larry shares his story:

Para-gliding has been great for Jeremy and I, giving us an opportunity to interact beyond the work day. I wasn't sure how this sport would be for me considering I was told it takes a lot of finesse! I am more of a brute force kind of a guy...give me a hammer and a wrench and I am happy.
But it has been a blast with around 60 mini-flights this past month: the highest and furthest being around 50 feet up and the length of five football fields. I am looking forward to the "real" mountains. Flying like this is really freeing, and who knows maybe some Xtreme tourism ventures will open up in the future.



This is Jeremy sailing through the sky with a landing zone target of my helmet, which was still on my head! All I need is a big red X tattooed on my forehead!

"By the fourth day of paragliding we were feeling pretty good. Unfortunately it got REALLY windy so we couldn't fly... couldn't even do much ground training! We tried for awhile, but between the rocky ground and getting pulled backwards (yes, I did a few backward somersaults) we soon called it quits. Thankfully we were able to borrow a couple wings to practice our kiting up in Darhan. Hopefully in November we will have a chance to go back and tackle a small mountain or two!

It's getting cold (0F last night), but frozen ground means no upward thermals and smooth sailing for beginners like us. Someday, though, we will seek out those thermals and higher mountaintops!" -J.Fields blog...

No comments: