Sunday, January 27, 2008

Right NOW!!!!

Some thoughts about what it means to follow Jesus...

Let's look at 3 Scenarios in Luke 9:57-62
1. Jesus is approached by a teacher of the Law: "I will follow you wherever you go."
Jesus replies, "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head."

What is Jesus telling this teacher of the Law? Is he saying, hey I'm homeless and am relying on the generousity of others for a place to sleep. Is Jesus cutting straight to the man's idol!? Materialism! You are to caught up with too many personal possessions to follow me!

2. Then Jesus turns to another and says, "Follow Me."
The man says, "Lord, first let me go and bury my father."
Jesus, "Let the dead bury their own dead, but you go and proclaim the kingdom of God."

What is Jesus saying here?
Well first let's look at two possibilities:

First, the man's father was already dead. I heard that it could have been custom that the body would decompose for a year before the burial. When it was time for the actual burial, the individual could collect their inheritance .
OR
Second, maybe it meant: Okay, but wait until my father is dead or let me make arrangements for him.

Either way I believe it could be talking about inheritance and thus FINANCIAL SECURITY!


3. Finally, the third guy and possibly the most arrogant...I mean the guy possibly saw Jesus shut down two men before him!

Another says, "I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go back and say good-bye to my family."
Jesus, "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God."

So, Jesus is saying follow me NOW! No looking back...you must leave your Family!
I'm not guaranteering you housing, financial security, or being near your family...but you will be a disciple of Me! With Christ! In the center of God's Will.


So, what about Mongolia? Thanks to our teammates in Mongolia, we know that we will have a place to lay our heads...housing, but not financial security or be anywhere near our family, BUT we will be in the will of God.

faith not in what I can put together or budget, but FAITH in what HE wills!