Monday, February 09, 2009

Insights and Reflections on the Life of Larry Lain-

February 8, 2009

I was born 31 years ago today and born again almost 10 years ago. I wasn’t necessarily the most model citizen doing many things that landed me in a lot of places that I don’t wish upon anyone, but it is what has shaped me to be whom I am today! I tend to be a bit unconventional and prefer doing anything that isn’t considered normal. So, what a blessing it was that God put Krista in my life…but I am getting ahead of myself.

Yes, it is true I am not an Ivy Leaguer, and as many know, I grew up in the midst of very difficult circumstances. But God saw fit to give me a new father and a family that would stick together through it all until we would find refuge within Him.

After graduating high school, I went into the military, which really taught me a few things one of which came to me as I was at the apex of considering suicide. I realized I really couldn’t live life in my own strength apart from my creator. This was a glorious day when the Lord drew me into His wholeness and I put down my substances and anger for good. Though I was turned off by church and very much believed the words Gandhi had spoken about Christians…I still gave those church people a chance. Especially, since my future bride invited me there in the first place. But unbeknownst to me my heart began to change in North Pole, Alaska.

In the military I traveled to Japan, Korea, and Saudi Arabia, which again fueled my need for adventure. While in Saudi with only miles of sand to see I longed for my bride, Krista, my daughter, Averiana, and the Mountains. So we packed up and moved to California from Wyoming to attend Simpson University.

In California, we received so much healing and encouragement to take on new challenges. Krista was able to get her M.A. while I worked doing new construction plumbing, a VA work study job at Cal-Vet home loans, and still found time to obtain a B.A. in Leadership. Of course, we did our fair share of hiking and climbing as well…

Then we were off again to attend Alliance Graduate School in Manila, Philippines. But first we decided to go on a short-term trip to Baton Rouge to aid the BRMC after hurricane Katrina for two weeks. This trip turned into a two year engagement of serving those affected by Katrina, and also those oppressed by our societies hoarding of possessions and love.

Living amongst those we served in Baton Rouge really gave us insight into their world and how we are called to serve the oppressed. Not by trying to pull them out of the pit, but getting down in the pit alongside them and working together to find a way out. While in BR and Cali we had been working with CAMA to complete our application and education requirements…(thanks Steve, Rick and Phil!) This process and lots of prayer brought us to the calling God had been unveiling.

Financial short falls within CAMA left us with the option of either not going to Mongolia or raising support. Through prayer we heard God ask, “Whom are you trusting to provide for you?” Many of God’s beloved heard His voice and pulled their resources to rally behind us and send us to Mongolia. Yes, we are faithfully supported by financial and prayer warriors... (We continue to be blessed by you ALL).

Yes, I am 31. To some of you that seems very old and to some very young, but I am both young in spirit and old in experience. I have come to love those whom God has placed around me even when I cannot understand their views, because of the love and comfort God has given me. I thank all of you whom have touched my life in some way, and I hope that I have touched, or maybe challenged, yours. And, Krista thank you so much for being an Adventurer and Wild at Heart!

1 comment:

rev rock said...

Thanks for sharing your story Larry. I feel like I got jipped in getting to know you and your family. You all were leaving right when I was showing up. I love hearing the updates from Mongolia and it's amazing to know we have family all over the world. Be blessed!