Hello Everyone,
Here is question #5 from the previously promised blog.
The original blog was from Adam Mosley at http://adammosley.com/2014/07/05/10-things-missionaries-wont-tell/
"5. THEY NEED A VACATION…BUT WON’T TELL YOU IF THEY TAKE ONE.
WHAT THEY SAY
I just need a time of refreshing.
WHAT THEY WANT TO SAY
After 2 or 3 years of hard work, most people feel like they deserve a little break. Take the family to the beach. Visit a theme park, a national park, or Park City. I would love a vacation, but honestly, I feel guilty “pampering” myself, rather than putting all my time and resources into the ministry. On top of that, I know some people will judge me if my vacation is “too nice.” If I scrape and save pennies for 5 years so I can spend a week on an exotic island, you’ll never hear about it, because I can’t handle the snarky, “It must be nice” comments (the ones you’ll say to my face), or, “My donations paid for your vacation” (which you’ll think, but not say out lout – at least not to me). So, I keep some great stuff to myself for fear of being judged."
What I say: Agreed! I have heard some pretty crazy things from those who don't directly support me about vacations. Once, I was told to get a job like I was mooching off some system while I sat at home and played video games. Ok, I could possibly get a job here in Mongolia. My degree wouldn't really help me here so that means I am working a manual labor job. (I spent six years in the military and did construction through college). At this moment, minimum wage in Mongolia is 198,000T/month if your employer actually decides to pay you. The laborers I know work 12-15 hour days for their income. If, I was to do this there would NOT be much time for anything else. Oh, and I would be getting paid $3.57/day (not an hour) for my labor. Thank you for that advice...I guess....
My Thailand trip was for my shoulder. Yes, I did enjoy a couple days at a beach. No, I could NOT swim (I could sit/stand in the water), because my arm is too messed up to take off my shirt by myself, let alone have fun in the water. Yes, in many ways Thailand was a vacation, but I didn't want to go. I felt that if I got all the way to Thailand and nothing was wrong that I would be judged and that I would be labeled as a HUGE wuss. I had decided that I would not go, but my wife and team insisted: so I went. Vacation.
Thank you so much. We did not realize how much we really needed some rest and renewal until we got to Thailand. Mongolia is a lot more exhausting then we care to admit. We are so THANKFUL.
Happy Thanksgiving,
Larry
Reference:
Mosley, A. (2014, July 5). 10 THINGS MISSIONARIES WON’T TELL YOU. Retrieved from
http://adammosley.com/2014/07/05/10-things-missionaries-wont-tell/
No comments:
Post a Comment