Tuesday, January 06, 2009

BRAVERY AVERI

"BRAVERY AVERI!!!"

Averiana’s new nickname at school suites her well. As her friends call out her name, I look up toward the heavens with a gleaming smile. Not only does her new name have a great ring to it, it carries a heavy suite of armor as well!

Bravery happens to be a part of our heritage.
The story begins with my grandmother whom I liked to call “Nana”. I wasn’t blessed with the opportunity to know her very well, but the one thing I found out very quickly was that she was a very brave woman. After she passed away last year, we sat around the kitchen table looking at photographs and sharing many stories of the courageous things she had done. On the night of her viewing Joshua 1:9 came to my mind. “Be strong and courageous…” That night, I had the opportunity to share a few words about my Nana. “She was a very brave woman. If I knew nothing else about her that would be enough.” The next morning at her funeral the priest shared what my father had told him…My Nana’s last words would have been, “BE BRAVE”.

The Lord spoke to my heart that day, “Bravery is your inheritance.”

A couple weeks later, Averiana picked up her new NIrV bible for the very first time and opened up to a random page. She began reading Joshua 1:9! The very first verse that she ever read by herself other than from her picture bible was Joshua 1:9. This verse happens to be the VERY first verse I ever memorized as a new believer 10 years ago. “Have I not commanded you? Be Strong and Courageous. Do not be terrified, do not be discouraged for the Lord your God will be with your wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9

My eyes lit up and I ran to the other room to grab our name cards that her great-grandma had made for us when Averiana was born. I told Averi that when I was pregnant with her I had a dream that God used her to bring multitudes of people to new life in Christ. A couple months after she was born we received the name cards, which said that her name means “New Life”. Even more, both of our name cards have the verse Joshua 1:9 quoted at the bottom!!!

Even at the young age of 15 months old, Averi's brave adventures lead her outside the country to Mexico to share new life and joy with everyone she meets! Now her adventures continue to the ends of the earth!!! Thank God for my "Bravery Averi!" She challenges me every day to be strong and to be brave! Where would I ever be without her?


2 comments:

sarah said...

I love that story! I know you've told me before, but reading it made it come alive again! I love the pictures too! It's crazy to think that Alyssum is that age now and how sooooo much alike they are! Alyssum has no fear! I can't wait to see how the Lord uses her and Averi in the rest of their lives! I love you guys so much and miss you every single day!!!

Jordana said...

You guys encourage me every time i read your posts. Bravery Averi-thank you for reminding is that God is with us! We love you and are so glad Averi that you were born. You have been a blessing to all whom have had the privilege to meet you!