Gobi Desert Marathon anyone????We are actually considering such a feat next September. I (Krista) may attempt a 1/2 marathon and Larry would like to do the whole thing (of course). During my morning runs (about 2-3 miles, 3 times a week so far) I can't help but think about how language study is so much like running...
First of all, like language study, running isn't my favorite thing to do, but I do it because I know that it is beneficial for my health(and the health of others) and it challenges me to be a more disciplined person. Discipline happens to be a common theme in my life right now. It takes discipline to stay connected with the Lord every day amongst the chaos of transition; it takes discipline to run the race marked out for me and keep my eyes fixed on Jesus rather than thinking about the pebbles in my shoes or about aches and pains in my legs or in my brain; it takes discipline to continue the race instead of stopping when I feel like I can't breathe anymore or when I can't recall/speak another Mongolian word or phrase to save my life; it takes discipline to enjoy the journey and not be entirely focused on the destination; it takes discipline to go running when I really don't feel like facing the cold or enduring achy muscles as I run passed strangers who probably think I'm crazy because running is not a common hobby here; it takes discipline to go to language study everyday when it is very unpleasant to feel completely incompetent; it takes discipline to continue talking to strangers who can't understand a word I say and look at me like I'm an alien from another planet.
About midway through my run, I run a few laps around a dirt track that is a mile down the road. Language study feels a lot like running around a track. We go to school everyday for 3 or 4 hours and study at home for at least a couple hours more, yet it feels like we are going absolutely nowhere... like sprinting around and around in circles...with seemingly little or no sense of accomplishment. It is really hard to stay focused on the journey and stay encouraged when we have soooo far to go.
Pray for us:
Language study is by far the hardest thing we have ever endeavored. It takes up every ounce of energy and brain power we can muster up everyday! Please pray God would awaken our Spirits and give us His Strength! Pray especially for LISTENING SKILLS and comprehension and understanding!!!
Please join us in praying for an attitude of gratitude and having Hearts of Worship as we learn the language for Him so we may Know Him more and make Him Known! We ask that God would fill us with His Spirit and enable us to speak this language we have not known before (as He did in Acts 2 for the disciples!) We desire BOLDNESS and PERSEVERANCE as He continues to move us and shake us with His power and love!!!
Also pray for balancing our time with our children. We have so much studying to do but we want to keep our children first and foremost!!! Most of all we pray that we would be Strong and courageous...not afraid or discouraged...because God is with us each and every day wherever we go!!! (Joshua 1:9 paraphrased)
May the glory of God be revealed to His beloved people!!
THANK YOU FOR YOUR PRAYERS THAT LIFT US UP AND CARRY US ALONG!!
No comments:
Post a Comment